n the years 1815/16 the Prussian province of Saxony is founded from the northern part of the Saxon kingdom, the Altmark, Magdeburg and Halberstadt, as well as other areas where Prussia is spoken.
1879 Naumburg becomes the seat of the Higher Regional Court for the province of Saxony and the Duchy of Anhalt.
After the dissolution of Prussia in 1947, the state of Saxony-Anhalt was formed by the Prussian province of Saxony and the Free State of Anhalt. During the time of the GDR, Saxony-Anhalt was dissolved and divided into the two districts of Magdeburg and Halle. The districts Herzberg and Liebenwerda came to the district Cottbus and the district Deliztsch to the district Leipzig.
In 1990 the state of Saxony-Anhalt was newly formed and the state capital is Magdeburg.